6 Ways to Hype Your Big Event Without Straining Your Budget
With preparing, organizing and finding sponsors for your event being a daunting task on its own, marketing itself may take a hit, when resources and personnel are limited. And that’s a trap you need to avoid.
With the information overload online, your event needs to stand out from the crowd and be the next big thing.
This is only possible with a creative marketing plan. And the best way to do that is to take a lesson from seasoned marketers and create exceptional content that leverages captivating graphics and other digital assets.
As an event organizer, you need to create stories and hype them consistently through a variety of conventional and digital platforms. It takes a lot of time and effort to stay relevant, all the while keeping your audience engaged.
From sketching your event’s purpose to creating helpful and interesting, we’ll go deep into strategies you should use to hype your event, without draining your entire marketing budget.
1. IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET AUDIENCE
Everything you do in marketing is geared towards reaching the right customer at the right time. Identifying your target audience will help you understand:
- Who you are reaching out to?
- What do they expect to see in your event?
- How it will affect your campaign?
- Which method should you use to distribute content?
- What type of graphics should you be using?
It’s not as simple as creating an image, sharing it on social, and waiting for conversions. A successful campaign needs content catered to a target audience.
Take some time to gauge your audience and determine who is most likely to resonate with your campaign. Think about what your audience looks like by asking things like:
- How old are they?
- What are their interests?
- Why would they attend this event?
- What are they looking to gain?
- Do they have any special qualities?
It’s important that you find your tribe. Knowing your audience also means you can personalize the content for them.
2. USE EMAIL TO YOUR ADVANTAGE
Email is important and thriving in 2019, and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Emails provide life-time value (LTV) like no other marketing method, and it offers you an opportunity to reach out to varying audiences.
If you’re running an event like a trade convention where a wide variety of different interests come together, you should take advantage of email marketing segmentation. Email marketing segmentation works really well for businesses that have a variety of distinct target markets. According to Hubspot, marketers that use this strategy have seen revenue increases as high as 760%.
Why is email segmentation such a valuable strategy? It allows you to effectively target specific niches within your audience. Whether you are targeting cold leads, active leads, sending out promotions, or engaging with a past client—you can create emails that are relevant to each demographic in your target audience.
You can further personalize the emails by using an individual’s name and augmenting your emails with personalized headers and graphics from PosterMyWall.
3. CAPITALIZE ON CONVENTIONAL MARKETING STRATEGIES (LOCAL)
Local advertising is still a great way for organizers to connect with the right people. It works well as attendees are more likely to be local than people from another state, or even city.
Most digital channels are highly-competitive and saturated with content. Everyone is battling for your customer’s attention online. Local marketing is a great way to connect with your customers in person and create a sense of community and local attachment.
So, how can you take advantage of local advertising?
The answer to this question will depend on what your business does. But here are a few strategies you can use:
Try partnering with local vendors to generate buzz. This lets you build credibility, reach new customers, and benefit from an existing customer base.
The thing about local marketing is that it’s all about creating goodwill in your community. You show potential customers that you exist when you partner with other vendors and businesses in the area. This is a great way to show your local audience positive aspects about your business.
This goodwill can then generate positive word of mouth, helping you build hype for your event. This simple form of marketing is cheap, effective, and can help you reach new networks of potential customers. Working with local businesses has other advantages too, such as:
- Many small businesses (cafes, local book stores and some eateries) will sell tickets to your events.
- Larger enterprises can act as sponsors for your event.
Another means of local advertising is posting flyers, posters, and other advertising material at local community boards, on street poles, and other areas where you have permission to post. If the flyers are captivating enough, they are sure to turn some heads and act as a constant source of awareness and reinforcement for the locals.
But why should you focus on conventional marketing?
- Lower cost. Online marketing involves aggressive bidding for clicks. Local advertising and partnerships don’t. A strong partnership with another business can generate a lot of value at an affordable
- Gain more positive reviews. Exceptional in-person experiences are far more likely to generate positive reviews for your business, which can help your local SEO and SERP ranking by increasing your visibility on the Google Map displayed in the search results.
- Create unofficial brand ambassadors. Your event’s most enthusiastic attendees are your biggest marketing tools. They will promote you to their friends, family, and colleagues. Not only do their testimonials carry more weightage than any of your paid advertisements – but it’s also free.
Want some flyer designs but don’t know where to start?
You don’t have to hire expensive graphic designers to make engaging flyers for your event. PosterMyWall offers hundreds of professional event flyer templates that will capture the eyes of your target audience at a price well below what a graphic designer would ask for.
4. LEVERAGE SOCIAL MEDIA
Everyone is using some form of social media today. No other platform lets you reach the bulk of your target audience as easily as social media does.
A successful social media marketing campaign must focus on prevalence, consistency, and timing. You need to create a social media marketing strategy that includes things like:
- Engaging content that will resonate with your audience
- Tracking the right KPIs to determine success
- Creating measurable marketing goals
- Ensuring a consistent experience across all channels
You should determine what platforms your audience uses, design the right type of content to engage them, and create sales funnels to capture any traffic that you generate.
So, what does a winning social media strategy look like?
Relevance Is Key
Cover all the relevant social media platforms that your target audience is using. For example:
- A classical orchestra is likely to attract older audiences, who might be exclusive to Facebook.
- A new skate park opening may be the opposite, grabbing the attention of younger participants who use Instagram and Snapchat.
Making posts for all of these sites is a time-consuming and creatively intensive task. PosterMyWall’s social media templates can provide you with inspiration and quick access to a library of great templates. These templates are great for many reasons:
- They are easy to use. You can create memorable content with little to no design experience.
- They are free. Thousands of free engaging social media templates at your disposal.
- You can create stunning video content. You can even create video content without the need to hire an entire videography team.
- Built-in free resizing tool. Resize your pictures in just seconds to repurpose content on multiple platforms.
- Auto-publish and schedule your content. Share designs directly to Facebook/Twitter or upgrade to PosterMyWall Premium subscription to access their scheduling feature.
Know Your Hashtags
Don’t underestimate the power of hashtags to get people talking. Hashtags are a powerful tool that lets you market to specific segments of your target audience.
Hashtags are most useful on Twitter and Instagram, but they also work on Facebook too.
Here are a few tips that you should follow when it comes to hashtags:
- Research relevant hashtags. Take the time to research what hashtags are most likely to connect with your target audience.
- Create an event-specific hashtag. This hashtag should be unique to your event and used on all posts that you create or your audience shares.
- Share user-generated content. You can create further hype by sharing content that’s created by your users on your platform. This type of content is natural and far more persuasive than promotional content. It’s also a great way to praise your supporters and customers for their efforts, which creates even more positive buzz for your event.
Over time, with increased engagement, you may start to dominate certain hashtags as you grow your reach and promote your event. This will increase the exposure of your event and the chances that your content lands in front of your target audience.
Always Stay Consistent
You should make slight changes to your posts to cater the content toward an audience on a particular platform.
- Snapchat users want videos.
- Facebook wants posters and images.
- Twitter wants short, catchy text blurbs.
- Instagram users want rich media and engagement.
However, you must stay consistent in your event marketing. Make sure that you’re reinforcing the same message in the audience’s mind regardless of where your post lands. If you’ve filmed an event promo video on YouTube, post some screenshots to Pinterest with a link to the full video.
To repurpose content efficiently for different channels, consider PosterMyWall’s free Resize tool. It helps you repurpose the same graphics across multiple social media platforms seamlessly.
Be Aware of Timing
Your audience values novelty. Keeping news of your event fresh in their minds throughout the days leading up to it goes a long way to preserving engagement. Instead of throwing all your marketing materials down on day one, make updates every so often. Keep that event fresh in their minds, build excitement and anticipation around it.
You could do this by slowing revealing details about the event, teasing them about an amazing offer, posting behind the scenes videos, and interviewing key leaders at your event.
That said, you don’t want to spend your every waking hour on social media.
If your schedule is tight or you just want a simplified experience, consider scheduling your social media posts ahead of time. You can create and schedule an entire batch of posts to go live at specific times and dates. This lets you maintain a consistent posting schedule and keep your marketing momentum going.
Save yourself the time and hassle and schedule your posts for later by upgrading to Premium on PosterMyWall. Just add captions and a time, and you are good to go!
5. GENERATE BUZZ WITH CONTESTS AND GIVEAWAYS
Contests and giveaways are a useful way to promote your event and generate a buzz. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that people like winning things, especially if it requires little effort on their part.
This type of marketing strategy relies on creating hype for an event based on free rewards, signup bonuses, and other prizes that guests can receive. While the free offers themselves are important, you can use these contests to create marketable moments that will increase the visibility of your event.
There are many ways you can promote your event, both locally and online, using contests and giveaways. Here are a few great options:
- Reward your audience for creating on-brand videos. Ask your audience to create funny videos about your brand and offer a reward to the funniest one. This will provide you with great content that you can share across your social channels.
- Highlight charitable causes. Try connecting your event with a specific charity. This can present you with a great opportunity to give back to your community while generating a lot of positive publicity.
- Offer attendance rewards. One way to boost attendance numbers is to offer a large prize to one lucky attendee. You may offer a free iPad, vacation, or something that all of your guests are interested in.
The most important rule of contest and giveaway marketing is to create anticipation around your event. This is typically accomplished by offering prizes that your guests actually want to win. Figure out what prizes your target audience likes, and use that information to hype up your event and increase your attendance numbers.
6. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF BEHIND THE SCENES CONTENT
Today’s customers want to know what a brand is doing. Behind the scenes content provides you with an easy way to highlight your brand’s personality.
Here are a few examples of behind the scenes content you can use for a major event:
- Show your staff having fun as they create things for your event. This will show your customers that your business is fun and that your staff is happy.
- Film setting up for the big event. This is a great way to update your customers on the event, to speak about what the event holds, and to build excitement.
- Capture the goofy moments. Sometimes things go wrong. Maybe someone drops the cake, breaks some glass, or something similar. Don’t be afraid to capture those moments as funny bloopers.
You can share behind the scenes content on Instagram and Snapchat, and even post it to Facebook too. Make sure you tag relevant local hashtags, as well as some larger ones, to increase the visibility of your post.
CHOOSE THE RIGHT STRATEGIES FOR YOUR NEXT EVENT
You now know a few well proven strategies that can help you get the most out of your event marketing efforts. All marketing campaigns start with the right strategy and execution is a key ingredient.
To sum up, here’s what we discussed:
- Start by identifying your target audience, what content they want to see, and effective ways to get that content in front of their eyes.
- The best strategies involve a mix of digital and conventional marketing. Partner with local business or display posters on community bulletin boards and highly-visible areas. Enhance your marketing efforts by sharing those same posters on social media.
- Create a mix of strong graphics, videos, contests, giveaways, and genuine content like behind the scenes videos and bloopers to keep your audience hooked.
- Encourage your audience to create their own content. User generated content not only helps you build credibility and hype but also provides you with a plethora of genuine marketing material for your campaign.
All these strategies are effective but who has all that time and money, especially when you’re working around the clock—planning, coordinating, and promoting. Well, the key is to not just work hard but also work smart. Use online tools like PosterMyWall that help you promote your events effortlessly.
This document has been composed with the free HTML editor. Click here to give it a try.